Saturday 25 January 2014

Dairy free pancakes

Just occasionally I can be tempted away from porridge. Especially on a lazy Saturday morning when I can have fluffy pancakes topped with banana and maple syrup. Yum.

Now most pancake recipes have dairy in so I have had to do  little searching and tweaking to make a recipe I am very very happy with.

It is a pancake flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon. It has apple and coconut in the batter, they do not contribute too much flavour but combined with the other ingredients offer the pancake sweetness. Especially as this recipe has no sugar, just some maple syrup in the batter.

I used a little spelt flour in the mix for a nutty more robust pancake. My other half declared them the yummiest ever so I guess I am on to a winner.

Dairy free pancakes

makes 8

110g plain flour
25g spelt flour
30g desiccated coconut
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
175ml almond milk
100ml water
tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla paste/extract
1 apple

Preheat the oven to low about 50-80C. Mix the flours, coconut, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. 

Mix the almond milk, water maple syrup and vanilla the whisk into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. You may need a tiny bit more water, I needed an extra tablespoon. Grate in the apple. 

Heat a little oil in a non stick frying pan. I used an american measuring 1/4 cup per pancake, if you do not have these it equates to 50-60 ml a pancake. You could put your mixture into a jug and pour into the pan .

Cook for a couple of minutes until the underside is golden and the top has little bubbles. Flip over and cook for a further minute. Transfer to a baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Keep going until you have used all the batter.

One of my favourite toppings is sliced banana and maple syrup. The sweetness the two provide is just right with the pancakes. You may have your own favourite toppings. How about berries and honey. Or adding some blueberries to the batter instead of apple and topping the whole stack off with more blueberries and maple syrup. Let me know if you have any favourite ways to top your pancake!

0 comments:

Post a Comment