Wednesday 17 July 2013

Florentines

The letter for this months alpha bakes is F. I had a few ideas, none of which were initially florentines. However whilst flicking through John Whaites book I saw his version and realised a) I have never made one and b) I have never eaten one.

So florentines it was. I did change his recipe a little so have my version below.

Florentines

makes ~15

60g butter
50g light brown sugar
15g golden syrup
50g sultanas, chop any big ones
30g dried apricot, roughly chopped
100g salted peanuts, roughly chopped
25g plain flour
50g dark chocolate

Preheat the oven to 180C/160C FAN and line two/three baking sheets with baking parchment.

Mix the dried fruit, nuts and flour in a bowl. Gently melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup, when fully melted tip into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.

Drop heaped teaspoons of the mixture onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake in the oven for 7-8 minutes until golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheets.

Once cool they can be peeled from the baking paper. Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the florentines.
These were pretty simple to make, I have a few different sizes, clearly I did not heap my teaspoon very evenly!

My first ever florentine did taste pretty good. Personally I think I would prefer my fruit, nuts and chocolate in an actual cookie but that is personal preference I guess.

3 comments:

  1. I've never made florentines either and always assumed they were quite tricky to make - I'm glad to hear they're not! Thanks for sending these to Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Turns out in this heat they don't last very well. Past day two, they went soft and mushy. Lesson learnt, either make in winter or be prepared to eat them quicker!

      Delete
  2. I've never made florentines either but I did brainstorm it whilst thinking of ideas for AlphaBakes. Thanks for sending them in.

    ReplyDelete