Friday 30 November 2012

Mini christmas cakes

I have to admit that I am not a huge Christmas cake lover, sometimes I will partake in a slice if I am in the mood, and I do quite like the Yorkshire way of an un-iced cake with a slice of Wensleydale cheese... yum.

Saying that I saw a recipe for mini Christmas cakes in jars in this months good food magazine. They looked so cute that I had to make them. I was already planning some homemade hampers as Christmas gifts and so decided that these would be perfect to go into them.

I have adapted the recipe from the magazine, is it just me or are raisins, currants and sultanas very similar once they have been soaked? So I took out the currants and substituted dried cranberries. Admittedly I had no currants in but did have cranberries so this helped the decision somewhat!

I also omitted dark chocolate chips, maybe I do not eat enough Christmas cake, but chocolate, in a Christmas cake, really?

Mini Christmas cakes in jars (adapted from good food magazine)

makes 2

65g raisins
65g sultanas
45g dried cranberries
35g stoned dates, chopped
15-20g glacé cherries, quartered
zest and juice of an orange
1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
75g butter
70g light brown sugar
1 large egg
75g plain flour
tsp cinnamon
tsp mixed spice
extra brandy to feed the cake (optional)

2x 500ml kilner jars, with clip lids

Place the raisins, sultans, cranberries, dates and glacé cherries into a bowl, add the zest and juice of the orange and the brandy. Cover with clingfilm and allow to soak overnight. By morning the fruit should have plumped up and absorbed all the liquid.  

Preheat the oven to 150C/130C FAN. 

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Add the egg and a tablespoon of the flour and mix to combine. Add the remaining flour, and spices and stir by hand until thoroughly incorporated. Stir through the soaked fruit until evenly dispersed.

Divide the mixture between the two kilner jars. Place onto baking trays with the lids open, remember to remove the rubber seal BEFORE baking.

Bake for 90-110 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. 

Allow the cakes to fully cool. Prick all over with a skewer and drizzle each cake with an extra 1/2 tsp of brandy.

I am now going to feed the cakes twice a week with a little extra splash of brandy.

There is still plenty of time to get your cake made, including some feeding time! I will be decorating my cakes in a few weeks time, I would love for you to pop back and see what I do.   

0 comments:

Post a Comment