Saturday 8 September 2012

Peach Melba cupcakes

The peach melba is a classic if not often forgotten ice cream sundae. Whether you have had one or not who could argue with the grouping of vanilla, raspberry and peach? Certainly not me, especially when presented in the form of a cupcake.

This recipe is from the fabulous love bakery book. Just tweaked ever so slightly to suit personal tastes.

I do admit that pink raspberries would have made the inside of the cupcake look very petty but I was seduced by the amber raspberries I saw, golden colour with a hint of blush combined with a reduced sticker meant it was a done deal!

I also utilised peaches from a tin, I needed the syrup from the tin and did not see the point of buying a fresh peach when I had all the segments sitting there.

I added a little vanilla to the cake and the frosting, to bring the ice cream flavour to the cupcake.

I am not going to copy out the recipe word for word.

However it is a vanilla cupcake base with 2 tablespoons of peach syrup added. When cooked and cooled a cone is removed from each cupcake and the middle filled with crushed raspberries and peaches before the cone is replaced.

Each cupcake is frosted with a mascarpone cheese frosting, which used 250g mascarpone, 80g icing sugar and 1 tsp vanilla paste all beaten together until thick and creamy. This amount frosts 12 cupcakes.
These were lovely and it was nice to enjoy them in the September sun before raspberries are out of season.

1 comment: