Thursday 12 July 2012

White bottom cupcakes with White chocolate frosting

This months alpha bakes letter is 'W' after the 'V'of last month I am hoping next month might be a little easier on my poor brain! Alpha bakes is hosted in turn by Ros and Caroline, pop over to their blogs for details.
To be fair there are plenty of things you can make involving 'W' I just seemed to be lacking inspiration. It was M who came up with this creation, in a round about away. "What are Black bottom cupcakes" he asked, so I told him. "Can you make them white by turning them upside down", he asked? Well I have not done that exactly. Like a black bottom cupcake I kept the sponge on the bottom and the cheesecake on the top. I have inverted the flavours though.

I made a vanilla (white) sponge and a chocolate cheesecake topping, to up the 'W' factor a little more I topped the whole thing off with white chocolate frosting.

So there we have it White bottom cupcakes with White chocolate frosting.

White bottom cupcakes

makes 6

For the cupcakes I followed the love bakery vanilla cupcake recipe to the letter, feel free to use your favourite vanilla cupcake recipe.

For the cheesecake

100g full fat cream cheese
30g caster sugar
1/2 of one egg yolk
40g of dark chocolate

For the frosting

30g butter
125g icing sugar
1 1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
50g white chocolate

Pre heat the oven to 180C/160 FAN and line a cupcake tin with cases.

Mix up your cupcake batter and fill the cases 2/3 full. 

For the cheesecake melt the chocolate gently and set aside to cool. Quickly beat together the cream cheese, sugar and egg. Be cautious with the amount of egg. Beat until it is just combined, do not over-beat otherwise it will turn to liquid. 

Add a spoonful of the cheesecake mix to the chocolate and stir trough, add another spoonful and repeat. Add al the cheesecake to the chocolate, stir to combine, do this by hand, do not beat it.

Place blobs of the cheesecake mix on top of your cupcake batter.
Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.

Leave to cool on a wire rack

Once cool they can be frosted. For the frosting gently melt the white chocolate and set it aside to cool. Beat the butter and icing sugar briefly and add the milk to help it come together. Keep beating the frosting for up to 5 minutes until it is very light and fluffy. Beat in the cooled melted chocolate until it is combined. 

Pipe or dollop the frosting into the cooled cupcakes. 
Firstly I need to apologise for the state of the frosting, I was baking bread and the kitchen was perhaps a little hot to be frosting cupcakes.
Look white bottoms
This vanilla cupcake is my current favourite and I would recommend the love bakery book to everyone. The white chocolate frosting was an experiment and it really does taste of white chocolate, I really hate frostings that do not deliver what they promise, but thankfully this one does.

The sweet frosting pairs perfectly with the very rich chocolate cheesecake. Be warned this is definitely one for chocolate lovers, if you like your chocolate less rich you could try milk chocolate in the cheesecake.


5 comments:

  1. These look gorgeous! I've made the black bottomed cupcakes before but like your idea of turning it around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a genius idea - I LOVE it!! Thanks for entering it to AlphaBakes! Wish I could have one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, they did not last long enough for me! A second batch may be on its way very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my these look good. I think I need some dinner. My tummy just rumbled as I looked at them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm dropping by via AlphaBakes. What a clever idea to and these look delicious! Mich@pieceofcake.sg

    ReplyDelete