Wednesday 11 July 2012

Molasses cookies

I am in love. These are such a simple cookie to make, smell amazing cooking, and look very pretty when they come out the oven, but this is not the reason I love them. From the first bite they had me hooked, I warn you eating one is actually impossible, it is much more likely that you will eat the entire tin in one sitting.

These delectable cookies were mentioned in this months cupcake book club read, the book club is run by Kelly of an american cupcake abroad, check out her blog if you want to join in!

 Looking around most recipes are pretty similar. Below is my interpretation. I had to use black treacle (very very very similar to molasses) as getting actual molasses is not an option where I live.

Molasses cookies

makes around 35

160g butter
200g dark brown sugar
1 egg
60g of black treacle
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
caster sugar for rolling

Heat the butter gently until melted and stir into the sugar. Add the egg and mix until incorporated, it will take a minute. 

Add in the treacle and mix again. Add the flour, bicarb and spices to the bowl and mix until everything is fully incorporated. 

Chill the dough in the fridge for ~ 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C FAN.

Roll the dough into equal size balls, I used a level tablespoon to get my cookies the same size.

 Roll the ball lightly in caster sugar and place on an ungreased, unlined baking sheet. 

Make sure to spread the cookies well apart as they will spread.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the baking sheet and leave to cool on a wire rack.
Have I mentioned that I could eat my own body weight in these? They do store well in an airtight tin, however my batch may not have been stored very long at all... and so I cannot definitively say how long they store for!

2 comments:

  1. They are very pretty! They have molasses at Holland & Barrett in the health food section. Don't know if they have any near where you are.

    ReplyDelete