Saturday 7 July 2012

Cherry pie with streusal topping

Confession time, I wanted dessert, but I was supremely tired, that, combined with the fact that the supermarket had ready rolled pastry on offer, forced my hand. I bought my shortcrust, even though I can make it quickly I wanted desert quicker!

This recipe was inspired by The Bakery Girls by Florence Ditlow, this months cupcake book club read.

I used two mini tart tins to make to individual pies. The fridge is literally fit to bursting, there is no way I could store leftover pie if I had made a large one.

Mini cherry pies

makes 2


Shortcrust pastry, homemade or shop bought
200g of cherries
2 tablespoons of cherry jam (I actually used plum jam that needed using)
15g plain flour
1/2 tsp cinamon
10g butter
20g light brown sugar


Preheat the oven to 200C/180C FAN. De stone the cherries.

Line the tins with the pastry and bake for 10 minutes, There is no need to blind bake, just pop the tins in as they are. 


While the pastry is in the oven put the jam into a pan with 1 tablespoon of water and stir until the jam is meted. Add the cherries and cook for a few minutes.


For the streusal topping combine the flour and cinnamon in a bowl . Cut the butter into the flour using a knife, or rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the sugar.


To assemble the pies place spoonfuls of the cherries into the pie cases , topping with the syrupy jam.


 Sprinkle a good handful of the topping onto each pie.

Bake in the oven for  further 15-20 minutes, until the topping is golden and crunchy.
Serve immediately with plenty of ice cream!
If you wanted to make 1 big pie I would multiply the recipe by 4. 


This pie was lovely, comfort dessert at its best. I particularly loved the warm syrupy cherries with crunchy topping.

0 comments:

Post a Comment