Saturday 16 June 2012

Cheesy buttermilk scones

I lamented about the weather in my last post, I am STILL lamenting. I am not necessarily asking for a heatwave, just dry would be a start. Anyway enough complaining, all you really need to know is that the weather prompted a craving for comforting warm food, soup and cheese scones fitted the bill perfectly.

I had buttermilk to use up from a beyond disastrous attempt at red velvet cupcakes. And I mean disastrous, I do not mean they were not red enough, I do not mean they were not moist enough, and I do not mean that the frosting was runny, these are what other people on the internet mean when they say they turned out disastrous. Mine did not cook, at all. The top formed a vague thin crust but underneath it just kept bubbling and bubbling but never baking, it 'boiled' (for want of a better word) so much that the mix escaped the liners and covered my cupcake tin. It looked like a scene from Alien. More on the disaster in another post, as yes they will make an appearance on here, but, hopefully, only once I know what went wrong. A before and after post, if you will.

Anyway I have digressed, weather horrible, buttermilk to use up, cheese scones the answer.

Cheesy buttermilk scones


makes between 6-12 depending on cutter size


150g self raising flour
1 1/2/ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt,
pinch of cayenne
75g of cheese
1/2 beaten egg
65ml buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp oil


Preheat the oven to 180C/160C FAN. 


Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Mix the egg buttermilk and oil together and add to the bowl of dry ingredients.


Bring the mix together into a dough, adding a splash more milk if it is too dry. 


On a floured surface pat the dough to ~1/2cm thick. Fold in half and pat lightly. Cut out as many scones as possible. re-pat out the trimmings to use all the dough up. 


Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. 


Best enjoyed warm with butter, or as an accompaniment to soup.

They are fine warmed through the next day. When I make them again I think I will add 1 tbsp of parmesan in with the dry ingredients to really ramp up the cheese favour.


   

0 comments:

Post a Comment