Tuesday 15 May 2012

Garibaldi biscuits

I was very very excited to get my newest baking book through the post, Biscuit, by Miranda Gore Browne, finalist from the Great British Bake Off.

There are so many delicious looking biscuits in there that it is going to take some restraint to not make them al at once.

Weirdly the first biscuits that I made were not planned, I had the sudden urge to make something, as all the tins in the house were empty. However it was raining outside and so ideally it had to be something I could make with my limited supplies.

Garibaldi biscuits were the winners, they used currants which were the only thing a had 1000s of. They also used icing sugar instead of caster sugar which was perfect as I had no caster sugar.

For such a simple little biscuit they taste amazing and disappeared remarkably fast out of my biscuit tin!



Garibaldi biscuits


makes 20 (well depends on how big you cut them I suppose!)


75g softened butter
75g icing sugar
1 egg separated
200g plain flour
100g currants
1 tbsp milk


Preheat the oven to 180C/160 FAN and line two baking sheets with non stick baking paper. 


Cream the butter and sugar together, add the egg white and flour and mix until a dough forms. Gently knead the dough into a ball and divide into two equal pieces.


Flour a work surface and roll out both pieces of dough to 5mm.  Put one piece on a sheet of greaseproof paper and cover with the fruit.




 Place the other piece of dough on the top and gently press down with your hands. Next gently use a rolling pin to roll the double layer as thin as possible. If the fruit starts peeping through, stop rolling and patch up with your fingers.


Trim the edges straight and cut into smallish squares. 


Beat the egg yolk with the milk and brush generously over the squares. Place on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 15-20mins until golden and shiny on top.





Leave to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous, I've only made macarons a few times but they always go wrong! Well done and thanks for entering it into Alphabakes!

    ReplyDelete