Sunday 6 May 2012

Custard and White chocolate biscuits

I like custard. I like white chocolate. I like biscuits. So a biscuit proudly claiming to be all 3, has most definitely got to be tried.

By strange coincidence I have read a lot of recipes this past week that contain custard powder, this just reminds me of home, especially Christmas, when out would come the birds custard powder, ready to make custard for the Christmas pud! Although I love custard I do not really buy it, but when I do I must admit I am lazy and buy fresh ready made stuff. So I hunted out the custard powder and was very excited to find it in a tin very similar to ones I remember from my youth. And now I have a huge tin it gives me a very good excuse to make the other recipes!

Nostalgia at its best
This was another find in good food magazine.

Custard and white chocolate biscuits


makes 20-25


140g softened butter
175g caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used paste)
225 self raising flour
85g custard powder
85g white chocolate chopped into small chunks


Preheat the oven to 180/fan 160. Line 2-3 baking sheets with baking parchment.


Put the butter and sugar into a food processor and whiz until light and fluffy. Alternatively use an electric mixer. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. 


Mix the flour and custard powder in a bowl and add to the mix, pulse until a dough is formed. Scrape the dough from the processor and work in the chocolate by hand. 


The dough is SO orange, thanks to the custard powder
Roll the dough into small balls, I used my tablespoon as a guide, and place on the baking sheets., spaced a little apart to allow for spreading. Press each biscuit lightly down with your fingers. 




Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove and cool on a wire rack.

My biscuits seem a little deeper than he picture implies, I think next time I  will press them down just a little more.


These little biscuits are very nice, they certainly got eaten quickly enough. The recipe says that they will keep well in an airtight tin for up to two weeks. Now I do not think that they will  last that long, and also I think unless your tin is super airtight they will change texture over time.


0 comments:

Post a Comment